So how is the best way to make apple crisp? Its to use apples that would have otherwise gone to waste.

All over is fruit, nuts, etc. that is just laying on the ground. My neighbors are older and no longer pick their fruit trees, so when I notice that apples are laying around I ask if I can pick their apples. This 'gleaning' helps them have their yard cleaned and I get free fruit. When 'gleaning' be sure to pick up all the apples (or what ever you're getting) - even the rotton ones. You can compost the rotton ones, feed them to your chickens, or just throw them away; just be sure to clean them up as a courtesy

. The food you 'glean' probably won't be grocery perfect, but it most likely will be totally organic. So take your apples and prep them (core and peel and slice). Add sugar and cinnamon (and I add a teaspoon of almond extract - I love it).
Change to a bigger pan because you misjudge. Mix flour, sugar, butter, and pecans (use your hands and mix until it is 'mealy').


Sprinkle over the apples and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.

Se

rve with ice-cream. YMMMM!!!

The chickens enjoy all the 'bad' apples.
1 comment:
Great use for the unused "ground" apples! Apple crisp is the best!
Post a Comment